Vienna is a dream city break for families, packed with fairytale palaces, picnic-ready parks, and apple strudel on the breakfast menu. We asked one family just back from the Austrian capital to share their tried and tested highlights. Read on for the kid-approved list, from the museum to visit twice to where to find the best schnitzel in town.
1. Stephansdom Cathedral and Crypt "We all enjoyed the cathedral, but not to be missed is the fun and creepy tour of the crypt including a room full of bones from the bubonic plague!"
2. Naschmarkt "A chance for some outdoor fun, we chose from one of the dozens of restaurants at the market for dinner one night, and shopped for keepsakes at the many stalls."
3. The Sound Museum "The kids LOVED this and would have gone back a second time. There are tons of hands-on interactive exhibits, all to do with music and how sound travels."
4. Schonbrunn Palace and Gardens "This was a fantastic tour — even the kids enjoyed it. We didn’t get to the zoo, which is supposed to be excellent, but the gardens are stunning and have a maze and playground to explore."
5. Volksgarten Park "A beautiful park for a stroll."
6. Spanish Riding School "The kids liked the horse show, but families with very young kids should know that the whole event is quite long."
7. Habsburg State Apartments and Sisi Museum "I read three books on Empress Elisabeth of Austria, known as Sisi, before our trip and shared bits and pieces with the kids, so they were hooked on her museum. She was a rare and fascinating character in 19th-century Austria."
8. Mozart Museum and Hellbrunn Palace "In Salzburg, I highly recommend the Mozart Museum and the Hellbrunn Palace. We went to the palace to see the gazebo from the Sound of Music and went on a "trick fountain" tour, because why not?! The picnic-worthy gardens are gorgeous, and the kids loved all the carved fountains that spray water everywhere."
9. Meals at Bank Brasserie and Bar at Park Hyatt Hotel "One of our favorite restaurants in Vienna was inside our hotel! It serves brasserie classics for breakfast, lunch and dinner."
10. Schnitzel at Figlmuller "The best place to try classic Austrian cuisine, including schnitzel, tafelspitz and zwiebelrostbraten."