Supermodel-turned-writer and mama of two Cathy Fedoruk recently returned from The Island House in the Bahamas, a chic getaway by the Lyford Cay Marina. This is an ideal spot for a long weekend by the pool or a longer stay in one of their stylish apartments. Check out her review below for the scoop on this boutique Bahamian bolthole.
The Island House
Mahogany Hill Western Road
Nassau, The Bahamas
- A modern 30-room hotel with a nod to both the pagoda and Caribbean cottage located on the Western side of the island, about ten minutes from the airport overlooking the Lyford Cay Marina.
- The impeccably manicured 10-acre property includes three restaurants, gym, squash & padel (Scottish) courts, a movement studio (yoga, barre & Pilates), and 48-seat cinema.
- The Bramford Spa is a fabulous place to relax after a day by the pool surrounded by palm trees.
- Best bet for a family of four is the double queen room, which have terraces.
- Connecting rooms adjoin the double queen to a king with a separate secure door.
- The two cottages have both a suite and junior suite that can be booked together or separately accommodating up to six people or for those in need of a full kitchen there are two and three-bedroom apartments available.
- While there is no direct beach access, Love Beach is a quick car ride away.
- Bamford Spa has only two treatment rooms, so book your treatment in advance for a day of pampering.
- The hotel does not offer 24-hour room service (7 AM — 10:30 PM) but the rooms have minibars and The Market next to Mahogany House offers delicious snacks and beverages.
- The hotel is home to the best restaurants on the island: Shima for fresh Thai cuisine and the Mahogany House, which serves seasonal Mediterranean fare. Breakfast and lunch is a treat at the Coffee Bar, which offers gluten and dairy-free options.
- The cottages have private outdoor showers and poolside terraces – a perfect choice for mom or dad, who can be poolside during nap time.
- All rooms have high ceilings, a private terrace, soaker tub, rain shower, two sinks and ample room for a rollaway, if needed.