Lucy James, a fashion writer, toddler mama and London native-turned-New Yorker, shares her tips from a holiday trip to Antigua. Follow her journey and her style tips at her Secretstylist blog.
Where did you go, and who were you traveling with?
We went to Nonsuch Bay in Antigua over the Christmas holidays. I went with my husband and two-year-old son, and my parents met us there from London.
What made you choose this resort?
We have sailed a lot around Antigua and love it. This time, with a very active toddler (!) we decided to stay on land. I chose Nonsuch because it was located on a very pretty bay, ideal for water sports, and they had self-catering cottages right on the beach.
What were the highlights of the trip? What were the low points?
- sailing around the bay and visiting the deserted island of Green Cay
- lunch at the beautiful Harmony Hall next to the resort
- lazy mornings having breakfast on the terrace overlooking the beach
- long lunches at Catherine's Cafe Plage
- Sunday night rum punches at Shirley Heights
- swimming in the infinity pool with a view over the bay
- the beach was a bit seaweedy, but a lot of Caribbean beaches can be like this
- the restaurant was good but not somewhere we wanted to eat everyday
Would you return, and why?
Yes, probably when my son is older. Once kids are 5 or 6, they can have kitesurfing lessons, sailing lessons, etc. There were lots of families there with older children who loved the activities.
What advice would you give to another family considering a trip here?
If you are looking for a luxury resort where you sit on a pristine beach and don't leave the hotel, then it probably isn't for you. If you love water sports, a relaxed atmosphere and exploring the island, Nonsuch is perfect.